10 things bringing me joy during quarantine
Quarantine – it’s a weird thing. Its definitely something I, and I am sure many of you, never thought we would be forced to do. Especially in a situation with a global pandemic and economic crash being the cause of it all. To be honest, it can be really scary when you sit and think about what is truly going on in the world right now. And as someone who lives with anxiety, these unsure, and unimaginable circumstances can be very triggering and send me into a tailspin if I let it.
With that being said, I’ve done my best to keep a positive mindset in the midst of all the chaos. Although not always easy, I remind myself that there are things completely out of my control, so I cannot fret about those things. What I can worry about are the things in my control, like my attitude, my mood, my environment and my mental strength. This is not to say that some days aren’t going to be hard and you won’t feel down from time to time, but if we all work to uplift each other and ourselves, we can get through this together one day at a time.
I wanted to share just a few things, simple things, that are truly bringing me joy (big or small) every single day during this crazy time:
1. Slow mornings – although I work from home on a regular basis, I’ve used this time as a kind of “excuse” to take things a little slower, especially in the morning. And honestly, it’s something I think I may continue post quarantine as well. I wake up a bit slower, I get ready for a little longer, I take time to make my water and coffee before even heading to my computer. Taking this time for me in the morning and not rushing into work first thing after I open my eyes has been a very welcomed change.
2. Morning frothy coffee – okay, let’s be honest, this brings me joy every single day, quarantine or not. You all KNOW I love my coffee in the morning, and my morning pours (check out my Instagram stories for hat action). Something about a frothy, milky, sweet but strong coffee in the morning just brightens my mood! My coffee choices are typically one of the three: Nespresso decaf (I use the Vertuo Line), BeforeYouSpeak OG Instant Coffee, or Four Sigmatic Mushroom coffee (I buy mine off of Thrive Market, which you can use this link for up to $20 Shopping Credit when you join today)! I also always froth my milk using my Nespresso Frother and I typically use Elmhurst (again, bought off of Thrive Market) or Forager Project milks!
3. Make up – again, I work from home on a regular basis, and typically I let my face be free of make up and products most of the time. But lately, as in the last 1-2 weeks, I’ve been enjoying putting on a light face of make up. Trust me, I am NOT the person to change into real clothes or “get ready” just to work from my home office, but putting on a light touch of make up has made me feel a little more beautiful lately, and there is nothing wrong with that! I’ve also been enjoying my nightly and morning skin care routine, which i’ve almost perfected – you can find that here!
4. Daily walks/Getting Outside – I have been outside more during this quarantine time than ever before. I am taking full advantage since I can’t go anywhere else, and am working to get outside for at least 30 mins to an hour every day. I just love walking around my neighborhood, enjoying music or a podcast, and even enjoying company (from a safe distance) as others in the neighborhood seem to be outside more than usual as well! Daily walks have also been a time for my family to connect, as well will all go out together and just stroll after dinner
5. Netflix – some may call it lazy, but I 100% LOVE bingeing shows on Netflix! Tiger King, anyone? Watching mindless but entertaining tv is something that really allows me to relax, take my mind off of daily stressors, and just be. We’ve also been watching a lot of Hulu (Friday Night Lights) and jDisney Plus (Boy Meets World and all the Disney classics)
6. Dancing – I have a tik tok, but I still don’t really understand it, and definitely don’t see myself posting any time soon. But what I have learned from tik-tok and spending WAY too much time trying to learn the dances, is that dancing by yourself to music is a MOOD BOOSTER for sure. It may sound silly, and you may feel silly doing it, but I highly recommend trying it out. Just go to your living or bed room, blast one of your favorite songs, and dance it out!!!
7. Baking – again, we all know I love baking, all the time. But my creative juices seem to be flowing during this time, and I am not made about it. I find myself in the kitchen baking something new almost once a day, and although my house may be overflowing with baked goods since I can’t go see anyone to give them to, it is a way for me to let go of some stress and let my creativity run free! All of my go to healthy baking ingredients can be found on my Amazon shop page!
8. My dogs – thank the lord for pets, am I right? Since they truly have no idea what is going on, they aren’t more stressed like the rest of us. They are the perfect cuddle bugs and honestly just bring me so much joy all the dang time! I love my Ranger and Goose (my two doggies)!
9. Self Tanner – again, something you could use regularly to boost your mood, but since I feel like I have more time on my hands right now, I’ve been applying self tanner a bit more regularly and it just boosts my confidence! Nothing wrong with giving yourself a little color to make you feel 100. The self tanner I’ve been using lately can also be found on my Amazon Shop Page (Self Care Products) – it gives the most natural glow!
10. Zoom calls with friends/family – although we can’t connect in person right now, I highly suggest still trying to connect with loved ones as much as you can. For us, that has looked like phone calls, zoom meetings with friends, and even playing online games in groups with the JackBox app – to be honest, I’m not sure why we haven’t hosted virtual dates with our out of town friends before, It’s just as fun and it would give us a chance to see them WAY more often!
Add a comment